Lava Creek Lodge is a pristine destination in a wild and beautiful place, with fishing that gets very little outside pressure. The country is spectacular, the lodging quite comfortable, and the fishing definitely rates as one of the finest king and silver fly fishing destinations on the planet!
It is custom-tailored for the serious salmon angler who values remote and nearly untouched water, swing fishing for dime-bright kings and chums, and surface and streamer action for big, hyper-aggressive silver salmon. With the ultra-low occupancy, anglers get the pick of the litter of the best pools on the home river, as well as other rivers accessed by float plane.
JUNE - SEPTEMBER
Lava Creek Lodge is all about offering some of the finest, most remote, lightly-fished fly fishing for king, chum and silver salmon in Alaska. King salmon (Chinook) season starts in early June and runs strong through mid-July, and there are plenty of big chrome kings available throughout those dates.
Silver salmon season begins in early to mid-August and runs through mid-September – likewise, there are bright fish available throughout the season. The lodge accesses miles of river for these popper-eating brutes, fish which average large, even by Alaska standards.
• King Season: JUN 06 - JUL 11
• Grand Slam Season: JUL 11 - AUG 15
• Silver Season: AUG 05 - SEP 19
KING SALMON (CHOOK)
These are the largest fresh/cold water animals to target with a fly. Lava Creek Lodge kings average 20 – 30 pounds.
Traditionally- tied flies should be on hook sizes from 4 - 1/0. Egg-Sucking leeches should be full and long, up to 4 inches in length. Flies should be tied full with lots of flash in varying colors and color combinations. Don’t be afraid to tie and throw larger flies for these fish, they love ‘em.
• Foam Top Wog – our favorite surface pattern #2/0
• Hareball Leeches (fuchsia, bubblegum, orange/chartreuse, pink/orange, purple) #1/0 – probably the single most used streamer pattern for Ugashik Lake Lodge silvers
• Egg Sucking Leech variations using marabou or rabbit strip in black & purple (add dazzle w/flashabou or crystal flash)
• Popsicle, size 1/0
• Bjorn Super Prawn Series (varying color combinations)
• Starlite Egg Sucking Leeches, purple, or pink
• Sililegs Intruder #1/0 pink/purple
Single or double-handed rods are perfect for chums. Generally speaking, a floating line is all you’ll need, though a Type III or IV 15’ sinking tip can be a very effective streamer line.
The reel should be equipped with a smooth, reliable, preferably disk-drag system. Reels should be filled with a minimum of 150 yards of fresh 20 lb. high-visibility backing.
The proper collection of fly lines is critical to your success and will get your fly in the proper water column. You need two lines to effectively fish the Lava Creek Lodge Lodge rivers.
1.) Floating line:
Preferably a weight-forward fly line like Scientific Angler’s Freshwater Titan Taper.
2.) 8’ – 15’ sink-tip
Traditionally-tied flies should be on hook sizes from 4 - 1/0. Egg-Sucking leeches should be full and long, up to 4 inches in length. Flies should be tied full with lots of flash in varying colors and color combinations. Just as with silvers later in the season, you don’t want to be afraid to tie and throw larger flies for these fish, they love ‘em.
• Hareball Leeches (fuchsia, bubblegum, orange/chartreuse, pink/orange, purple) #1/0 –
• Egg Sucking Leech variations using marabou or rabbit strip in black & purple (add dazzle w/flashabou or crystal flash) - probably the single most used streamer pattern for Lava Creek Lodge chum salmon – these fish love egg-sucking leeches
• River Rat Tube
• Stu’s Tiger Tail Turbo Cone (tube) hot pink
• Sililegs Intruder #1/0 pink/black, pink/blue
• Stu’s Rhea Intruder #2, purple/black
• Burnt Chicken #2 pink/purple (a guide favorite)
• Stu’s Jungle Tail Turbo Cone (tube)
• Stu’s Metal Tube, purple
RAINBOW TROUT, DOLLY VARDEN AND GARYLING
Single handed rods are perfect for these species. We recommend a 6-weight graphite rod, 9’ or 9’ 6” in length. Generally speaking, a floating line is all you’ll need, though a Type III 15’ sinking tip can be a very effective streamer line.
A high quality, single-action (direct drive) fly reel with rim-control feature is what to look for in a fly reel. The reel should be equipped with a smooth, reliable, preferably disk-drag system. Reels should be filled with a minimum of 100 yards of fresh 20 lb. high-visibility backing.
A good quality weight forward floating line is the most important line to have for these species, preferably a weight-forward fly line like Scientific Angler’s MPX.
• Mr Hankey Mouse – our favorite surface mouse pattern #4
• Dali Lama – olive/white or black/white #6
• Egg Sucking Leech variations using marabou or rabbit strip in
black & purple #2-#4
• Articulated Flesh, white #6
• Stimulator dry fly #10
• Missing Link dry fly #14
• Morrish Medusa (fleshy) #2
Lava Creek Lodge has arranged for a private charter from Anchorage, Alaska, to a landing strip eleven miles from the lodge. The charter service used is Anchorage Aero, located at Lake Hood, Anchorage, Alaska.
You’ll want to take a hotel shuttle or taxi to their hangar in order to catch your flight. Check in time is noon, with a scheduled departure at 1:00 PM.
Upon arrival to the airstrip, you will be flown in a float plane (usually two to three anglers at a time) the approximate 10-minute flight to the lodge.
Lava Creek Lodge is a brand new facility, approximately 110 miles southwest of the town of King Salmon, Alaska. The lodge accommodates a maximum of eight anglers a week.
TIPICAL FISHING DAY AT LAVA CREEK LODGE
You, as a client, don't have to pay any extra for our support services. Any questions, queries, and concerns about our destinations, the organization of your pre-trip, or any doubt, you can ask us without additional cost. Don't hesitate to text us, traveling with Pointer is always worth it.
And this is very important: By purchasing your trip through us, you are elegible to get extra gift and rewards, like a voucher open for 3 years for 50% off in your accommodations on your next Fly Fishing trip to Argentina in one of our lodges, you can choose between Trouts in Northern Patagonia or Golden Dorado in the Paraná river.
Also, you could get a voucher open for 3 years for 100% off accommodations on your next Dove Hunting in Argentina staying in one of our wonderful Lodges.